It is no gainsay that urbanization continues at a record pace all over the world, most especially in emerging economies. Some of the observable impacts of rapidly growing urbanization and economic development in cities of developing nations are witnessed in environmental issues connected to poor sanitation associated with waste management challenges, defects in urban drainages, flooding, shortfall in potable water supply, lack of sustainable infrastructure, degradation by human activities, air-, water-, soil- and land-pollution, among several others. The cities consume a substantial quantity of materials and energy and release large quantity of waste. In this wise, the cluster explores the nature of the urban environment, characterize it and determine how it affects human and well-being. The cluster helps provide with a wider scope of possibilities, particularly applying global solution to local problems, and advances that can be transferred and implemented in our own context.
To reduce environmental pollution through a sustainable green practice by promoting environmental sustainability through teaching, research, and community impact thereby creating and establishing opportunities for resource recovery and wealth generation.
Provide leading edge research, professional and consultancy services relevant to the context of Environmental Sustainability, Science, Engineering, Technology and Management.
- Promote excellence in environmental management and recycling operations by enhancing environmental sustainability and sustainable strategies to the university and external community.
- Continuous skill acquisition that would help in identifying social and cultural factors that would help in solving environmental problems.
- Provide faculty, staff and students with direct experience in environmental management through environmental stewardship, academic internship, paid positions, and volunteer opportunities.
- Create awareness about environmental issues and communicate basic knowledge about environment sustainability.
- Motivate the public to participate in environment protection and environment improvement.